Friday, June 17, 2011

Blueberry Banana Flax Muffins

Hi ya'll!


I hope you're having a beautiful day, and are able to avoid the heat- frozen yogurt and lounging by the pool, anyone? I'll be running errands today unfortunately but I'll still be driving around with the windows rolled down and the Top 40 summer hits blaring from my speakers. Since I'll be busy out and about for most of this weekend, I wanted to whip up a batch of muffins to have an easy and healthy snack for when I'm on the go.

I've had an overwhelmingly large pile of bananas sitting on my counter for about a week now, and I just can't stand to eat them 'au naturel' unless they're almost green, so I decided to build this recipe around them. For an extra nutritional boost, I used 1/4 cup flax seed meal along with the wheat flour. At just over 120 calories a pop, one would make a tasty afternoon snack or a great breakfast with two toasted and slathered in peanut butter. Oh the possibilities... :)



Blueberry Banana Flax Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed, ripe bananas (about 3 small)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup flax seed meal (I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries (fresh would be even better!)

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt.
  2. Add the bananas, honey and eggs, beating until smooth.
  3. Add the flour until just combined, then add the blueberries.
  4. Use a cookie scoop to evenly distribute the batter into 12 muffin cups.
  5. Bake for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!

Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment