Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tilapia en Papillote

Hi friends!

I'm back, and baking! I've been back from school for about a week now and I couldn't be happier! My finals went pretty well and my move-out was nearly flawless although we definitely had to improvise to make sure all my stuff fit in the car! Now that I'm back I'm sleeping to my heart's content, catching up on all the Real Housewives drama and running in the sweet sunshine.

Of course I've made a few old faithfuls like my Whole Wheat bread, and of course Veggie Saute's, but tonight I made a new one for the books. After a grocery haul with the madre, I came back with some fresh tilapia on my hands and some organic carrots and mushrooms. Add in some sun-dried tomatoes and basil and I was set to jet!


This was a great summery meal, I only had to leave the oven on for half an hour, the prep was simple, and the fish in parchment paper is not only a healthy way to make fish but also really fancy-looking! I know I will definitely be coming back to this recipe with all sorts of different fish as the summer goes on.


Tilapia en Papillote
Makes 2 portions

Ingredients:
  • Parchment paper
  • 2 tilapia fillets, about 6 ounces each
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon basil (I used frozen)
  • 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
  • 1.5-2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Preparation:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Tear off two 15-inch sheets of parchment paper, fold each in half and make a crease, then unfold.
  3. Combine chopped sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms in a small bowl.
  4. Put one fillet on one half of each sheet near the crease, and massage in salt, pepper and basil. Top each fillet with half of the vegetables.
  5. Dot half a tablespoon of butter (in small pieces) over each fillet.
  6. Fold half the sheet of parchment over the fish and beginning at the top corner make small overlapping folds down the entire sheet to seal the edges together. To ensure that it stays together throughout the cooking process, I staple the edges a few times.
  7. Place both packets on a baking sheet.
  8. Cut a small X in the top of each packet carefully, to allow some steam to escape.
  9. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.
  10. Serve with roasted carrots and homemade whole wheat bread!

Roasted Carrots

Ingredients:
  • 8 large carrots
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
Preparation:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Peel and chop carrots into one-centimeter pieces, roughly all the same size.
  3. Combine carrots with olive oil and salt & pepper.
  4. Place carrots on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
I hope this easy summer meal will inspire you to cook at the end of the day despite the heat that is blazing outside!

Happy Cooking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment