Sunday, September 12, 2010

Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Bread!


I had the most wonderful weekend, going to the beach with some friends and relaxing in the sun, exploring the tide pools, but it's all felt very autumn-like. Hence, (yep, I'm fancy- I say hence) my craving for pumpkin did not fade. Actually- it's kind of become an unsatisfied yearning... But anyways I wanted to prove myself worthy of saying I had made real pumpkin bread the old-fashioned way (I'm usually not a strong believer in mixes)so I picked out a recipe and I can assure you- it smells exactly like thanksgiving in my house right now. Even though I usuay pass on the cinnamon too, the way it mingles with the pumpkin literally makes it irresistible.


So if any of you out there are feeling the Fall vibes as the leaves start a-changin', try this recipe and I'm sure you'll be delighted. :-)

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
(from Stephanie Gallagher)

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups of unbleached, all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. cloves
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup low-fat or nonfat buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves together in a small bowl.
  2. In a large bowl, beat pumpkin puree, brown sugar, buttermilk, egg and oil together. Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring just until moistened (overmixing will cause the bread tobecome too tough). Add chocolate chips.
  3. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment