So here is a delicious and really simple recipe for a pureed celery soup that is certain to warm you right up on one of these cool September nights!
(Photo courtesy of The Daily Green)
Pureed Celery Soup
- 1 pound celery
- 1 medium potato
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 peeled clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Yields six 8-oz. servings of soup.
- Wash and cut celery into ½ - 1 inch thick pieces. (To cook evenly)
- Wash and peel the potato, cutting it into the same size pieces as the celery.
- In a large soup pot, heat the butter over a low-to-medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the wine and cook for another few minutes. (Until the wine has reduce by half)
- Add the vegetable stock and the potato, increasing the heat to medium-high and bringing to a boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the celery and potatoes are soft enough that they can easily be pierced with a knife.
- Remove from heat and purée in a blender, working in batches if necessary.
- Return puréed soup to pot and bring to a simmer again.
- Season to taste with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.