Friday, June 25, 2010

Jessica's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Alas, being Friday, I was really needing a chocolatey pick-me-up after work. Even though I mostly tend to choose recipes for certain people in my life (S'Mores for Ka, Peach and Raspberry Galette for my parents, Ultimate Brownies for Zach...) which I LOVE, I needed chocolate in a bad way.

Since I'd already made chocolate chip cookies not long ago (aka 2 weeks haha) I knew these really needed to be different. So after a bit of research I knew I wanted to make Food Network star Alton Brown's "The Chewy," but with a few twists. :-)
After I mixed up the dough in the afternoon, I stuck them in the fridge while we went out to dinner (Olive Garden- yum!), so they ended up chilling for about 5 hours. When I got home, I hoped that they would succeed and as I scooped out BIG ice-cream scoop cookies, I knew the texture was just right. And on another note, I'm officially patting myself on the back for only having eaten ONE spoonful of cookie dough as I was making them!! A serious accomplishment for myself :-)
I honestly believe these are the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever made, and I'm so excited that they were actually healthier than the average CCC! Even my brother, who NEVER actually vocalizes his praise of my baked goods to ME agreed! So, I hope you will give these a try and that they'll give you that perfect Friday pick-me-up.

Jessica's Chocolate Chip Cookies - Yields 22 big cookies if you don't eat any dough ;-)
(originally adapted from Alton Brown's "The Chewy")
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons nonfat milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Ingredients:
  1. Melt the butter and margarine in a bowl in the microwave.
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and set aside.
  3. Pour the melted butter in a large bowl and add sugars. Cream together on low speed.
  4. Add the egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. (Make sure butter isn't too hot or it will cook the egg)
  5. Fold flour mixture into batter in thirds, using a spatula.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Refrigerate the dough for 5 hours, overnight is even better.
  8. When refrigeration time is done, preheat oven to 375 degrees F while you scoop out ice-cream scoop sized cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
  9. Bake for 14 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
  10. Cool for about an hour and store in an airtight container, but make sure you try at least ONE about 5 minutes after removing from the oven-YUM!
Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment