Sunday, June 27, 2010

Another weekend flown by

Happy Sunday everyone!

I must say, I had the best day today, you know the kind, where you have a little day trip planned our and then a luxurious amount of time to relax and do whatever you want? That's the one. I went to Carmel today with my family, which is always a lot of fun, and the weather was just gorgeous. :-)

After a bit of a drive, we stopped at Borders. And I have to tell you, I recently picked up Nick Malgieri's book, "The Modern Baker" and have been loving all his explanations for breads and cakes, from which I will soon be posting a recipe. AND finally, I bought the book I have not-so-secretly been coveting for about 5 months, "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan. I have read such wonderful things about this book including of course many Tuesday's With Dorie entries, and was patiently waiting for the right Borders coupon to show up in my e-mailbox. So I finally made the leap and bought it, and I can not WAIT to use it! I read Dorie's preface and the first couple of chapter introductions and this woman makes me want to bake every single thing she writes about. From her comments on how to freeze the baked goods to what beverage to serve them with, she inspires me to try all sorts of new things. :-) Basically, I will be pulling from "Baking" a lot throughout the next couple of months.

And now back to my day. ;-) I had a delicious lunch with my mom (while the guys golfed) at our favorite spot, Patisserie Boissiere, and then shopped around at Sur La Table- I seriously could spend hours upon hours in that place and still not feel ready to leave. After picking up just a few things; 2 new baking sheets, cupcake tin liners and a new strainer (which I'm really excited about) we walked around Carmel a bit.

For dinner later we went to Lugano's, a typical Swiss bistro- complete with lederhosen pinned up on the walls along with drawings of cows in fields, and live yodelers who perform every Thursday. (Too bad it was only Sunday!) Fun place, right? :)

The drive home was pretty painless thanks to my dad taking the wheel and now I'm back home ready to start another week of work. Although I did not manage to bake today, I have finally brought my blog completely up to date so I say: tomorrow I'll make two recipes to get back on track! I already know that my mom's fabulous Lemon Bars are on the menu, so we'll see what I come up with to complement those babies.

As always, happy baking and I hope you're ready for a great week!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment