Monday, June 28, 2010

It took some time, but we made it through


Today, I had my first voice lesson (since I've moved back home for the summer) and I wanted to make something special for my teacher (and good friend) of 4 years. A while back, at one of her various recitals I learned that her favorite sweet was Lemon Bars- so I thought my mom's amazing recipe would be perfect.I know they require a blind bake for the crust and another baking with the lemony-custard poured on top, but knowing I would have about an hour and twenty minutes when I got home from work to get them done, I thought they would be perfect and still warm for me to bring to her.
Before

Unfortunately, this did not go as planned. I got back a few minutes late, all in a rush, and when I had gotten through the blind bake and everything else, I only just had the 15 minutes necessary to drive to her studio- and the bars where scalding hot! So I grudgingly left and thought I'd bring them by her house later that night, but it turns out they had not cooked through enough- so back to the oven they went. After a grueling hour and a half of trying to get them to cook I realized I had put in too much lemon juice and the liquid was keeping them from setting up properly! Silly me! But, after some First Aid from my mom, we managed to rectify and deliver them.
This is one of the simplest recipes I've come across and yet it's one that definitely lulled me into a false sense of security! Sooo, if you try these out- because they are FABULOUS when done properly, remember to wear your glasses when reading the ingredient list. ;-)

*Yes, that is Guy Fieri from Food Network, on TV in the background :)*

Isabelle's (Delicious) Lemon Bars
(Yields 12 squares)

Ingredients and Recipe
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Mix together. Blind bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1-2 tsp of Meyers)
  • 6 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Mix together and pour on top of crust. Bake for 18 extra minutes. (Can need up to 22-23 however so watch for a golden top and a fork stuck in coming out clean)

Let cool and cut. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.


Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment