Monday, June 14, 2010

Cherry and Raspberry Clafoutis

Oh my god. I am so excited to share this recipe with you today. I was definitely skeptical when my mom first suggested I make a Clafoutis (pronounced klah-foo-tee) because she described it as a flan. Although I am not morally opposed to flan, I just don't particularly see the interest in them. I would SO much rather enjoy a chocolate mousse, or yogurt, or even Jell-O...and that's saying something! So basically flan? Not my thing.

And then......this BEAUTY came out!
The most difficult part of this super simple recipe was removing the pits from the cherries, although even that wasn't neuroscience. :) I love this recipe for the summer especially because it showcases the fruit so well. You could easily sub in peaches or blueberries or any number of fruits to switch it up. Another thing I liked was that there wasn't a lot of added sugar, because when you have organic fruits that are so fresh and delicious, why take away from that?
Cherry and Raspberry Clafoutis
-Kay at Kayotic Kitchen
half a lemon's zest
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons milk (I used skim)
1 vanilla pod (so expensive!! I used a teaspoon of vanilla extract)
6 oz fresh cherries
3 oza fresh raspberries
2 eggs

Directions
1. Preheat oven too 350 degrees F.
2. Wash and grate the zest of half a lemon.
3. Sprinkle a few pinches of sugar on bottom of baking dish. (I used a glass 8x8 pan)
4. Add flour, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest to a large bowl. Add eggs and milk and mix.
5. Place washed and dried fruit along bottom of baking dish and pour batter over it.
6. Bake calfoutis for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed, golden-brown and a knife stuck into the center comes out clean.

My family LOVED this dessert and it was devoured within 20 minutes of being finished. Do yourself a favor and try this one out. So easy, and super yummy. :)


Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment