On my drive home I was trying to think of something to make and remembered we had a leftover bag of frozen rhubarb in the freezer that I needed to make before it went bad. So after a quick internet search, I found a nice recipe for a Rhubarb Crisp at Eating Well, and after a few changes I had three cute little individual servings of a yummy and simple dessert.
(adapted from Eating Well)
- 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb (I used frozen and let it thaw for about 20 minutes before using)
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, (not steel-cut or instant)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss rhubarb, apple and granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Divide between three oven-safe ramekins or custard cups.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, almonds, butter and salt in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.