Sunday, July 18, 2010

Easy Healthy Rhubarb-Apple Crisp

After a wonderful hike this morning at the Dish at Stanford with my mom, I came home and grabbed a quick lunch before meeting up with Micala to see a new Bollywood movie that's out, "I Hate Luv Storys." It was so cheesy and over-the-top but totally entertaining, with WAY too much singing and dancing for us to take it seriously. :)
On my drive home I was trying to think of something to make and remembered we had a leftover bag of frozen rhubarb in the freezer that I needed to make before it went bad. So after a quick internet search, I found a nice recipe for a Rhubarb Crisp at Eating Well, and after a few changes I had three cute little individual servings of a yummy and simple dessert.


Rhubarb-Apple Crisp
(adapted from Eating Well)

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb (I used frozen and let it thaw for about 20 minutes before using)
  • 1/2 cup chopped peeled Granny Smith apple
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, (not steel-cut or instant)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Toss rhubarb, apple and granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Divide between three oven-safe ramekins or custard cups.
  3. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, almonds, butter and salt in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture.
  4. Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment