In kind of a bad way... But it's okay... These are for my brother! Not me, promise!
Well...I'll try some, you know, just to make sure they taste alright... And then I ate half the pan. :)
These were originally Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies, but so
mehow ended up as a simplified variation, but it was oh so good.
(Adapted from Ina Garten)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 7 ounces chocolate chips
- 1.5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour a loaf pan.
- Melt together the butter, chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl, in the microwave (40 seconds, stir, 50 seconds, stir well again). Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Pour into the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not over-bake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 6 medium squares. (For my house, any more would be insanity!)
So go ahead and give them a try!