Thursday, July 8, 2010

Treat of the week for work: Red Velvet Cupcakes

Today, I tried out my Kitchen Aid mixer for the first time, making a dessert I have never EVER made before! I know, how can I possibly have not made cupcakes in over 18 years of existence, but it's true. I had never tried them. To me, there seem to be so many other desserts out there that are so much more worthy of my time and patience than a simple mini cake topped with whipped sugar. BUT, this red velvet has actually helped change my mind a little bit on the matter. Although the mixer basically did everything for me but measure the ingredients, and the baking tin clean-up was a cinch because of the muffin tin liners, I felt so accomplished once they were finished! I let them cool for about 2 hours, and then frosted them and topped them with some pink sprinkles, and they were so cute! I made them for one of my coworkers who loves red velvet cupcakes, and it's such a delight to make things for people who really love a particular dessert, because they just enjoy the finished product so much. That's really one of the big reasons why I bake, besides the obviously selfish reason being that I love dessert.
So here, give these a try and I know they'll turn out deliciously for you, just as they did for me. :)

Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cupcakes + Ellie Krieger's Cream Cheese Frosting (adapted):

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring
  • 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
  3. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment