I'd had this recipe in my binder for a couple weeks now, but I had never been willing to surrender my daily bananas for oatmeal, for a banana bread. Now this recipe was fairly unassuming and I definitely had low expectations due to its simplicity, but that's what made it even more wonderful when it came out of the oven! It was buttery and sweet-smelling, with no added cinnamon to funk up the smell (Did I mention I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon? Like, at all? I always leave it out of recipes when called for, with the exception of oatmeal raisin cookies- and even then I half it!). So this bread was moist and just right, even when I only made half what the recipe called for.
Heavenly Healthy Banana Bread
(Adapted from King Arthur Flour's website)
Yields 1 loaf; 8-10 servings (depending how thickly you slice)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 small bananas will do)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, baking soda and salt.
- Add the bananas, honey, and eggs, beating until smooth. Add the flour stirring until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan, smoothing the top. Let it rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Bake the bread for 33 minutes. (Check how the bread is baking after 25 by inserting a long toothpick and seeing when it comes out clean)
- Allow the loaf to cool completely in the pan. (About an hour)
***As a side note, I'm proud to say this is my 20th recipe of the summer! 20 and still going strong- I can't wait to see all the baking I accomplish throughout the next few months!***