Saturday, August 14, 2010

Chocolate-Almond Biscotti


Today I went going to see my first baseball game ever! To help celebrate this fun event I wanted to make some cookies to to snack on during the game. Since I hadn't yet ventured into the land of double-baking cookies, aka biscotti, I decided it was time to try them.

And man am I glad I did! They were so much easier than I thought, and under Dorie's careful explanation and perfect timing, I didn't even work up a sweat making these! They're the perfect size to nibble on (so you can have a couple, or a couple dozen...) and everyone thought they were a big hit. :)


So much so, that when I got back from the game (Giants won against the Padres 3:2!!) I whipped up some more in a different flavor! But, more about those tomorrow. For now, here's the recipe for some crunchy and richly chocolatey-flavored biscotti.

Chocolate Almond Biscotti
(slightly adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar (I used slightly less)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 heaping tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chopped sliced almonds
  • 4 oz bittersweet (60% cocoa) chocolate, coarsely chopped
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, coffee powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 2 minutes until light. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and vanilla; beat for another 2 minutes. Decrease the speed to low and mix in the dry ingredients in 3 additions, mixing only until a dough forms. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the chopped nuts and chocolate.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead a few times just to incorporate any dry ingredients that didn't get mixed in before. Divide into two portions; on the baking sheet, shape each portion into a 12 x 2 inch log. Bake for 25 minutes.
  5. Remove the sheet from the oven and let it cool on a rack for 20 minutes. Then, with a very sharp knife, slice the logs into about 3/4 - 1 inch slices and lay the slices down on the baking sheet. Return to the oven for about 15 minutes.
  6. Transfer biscotti to a rack to cool. Enjoy!
Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment