Sunday, August 29, 2010

Farmer's Market Whole Wheat Plum Tart

Today, I decided I needed to use up the remainder of whole wheat tart dough I had left over from my French Apple Tart and since we were lucky enough to have stopped by the farmer's market just hours earlier, I knew plums had to be used!

Anyone else love the farmer's market? I've gotten into the habit of going more often this summer and love the nearly endless supply of fresh produce that's offered. And the free samples? Definitely not something I turn my nose up at!

So for this recipe I used about a 3rd of the dough from the original whole wheat crust I made a couple days ago, and whipped up a very simple frangipane to pour over it, and topped it with about 3 sliced plums.

I was a little worried about the recipe since I kind of "eyeballed" it all, but it turned out deliciously light and yet sweet and nutty from the minced almonds.


Plum-Frangipane Farmer's Market Tart
(a Jessica original)
Yields 6 servings

Ingredients:

  • Whole wheat (or other) leftover tart crust
  • 3-4 medium plums
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds (or almond meal)
  • 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Wash and thoroughly dry the plums, and slice them.
  3. Roll out tart crust to fit your desired pan, between 1/8-1/4 inch thickness.
  4. Lay crust in pan and trim any overhang. Pierce the dough with a fork thoroughly all over to ensure it doesn't rise too much.
  5. In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar and melted butter. Add in the egg white and mix until well incorporated and fluffy.
  6. Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
  7. Pour mixture into the tart crust, and arrange sliced plums on top.
  8. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and frangipane has set. (This will differ from oven to oven, and also depend of the amount of dough you use, so stay alert!)
I hope this tart helps you enjoy the warm summer days we're finally having here in NorCal after a couple REALLY cold weeks!

Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment