It's really all about the crust in this recipe, because it adds such satisfying crunch to contrast the softened plums.
Plum Sugar Cookie Tart
(adapted from Health.com)
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- Small dash of salt
- 1/6 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon nonfat milk
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 plums, pitted and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor. Add ricotta and next 4 ingredients (through vanilla); pulse until mixture begins to form a ball. Do not overprocess. Shape into a disk and roll out between 2 pieces of wax paper, to about an 8-inch circle. Fold edges to make a 1/4-inch rim.
- Bake for 10 minutes in center of oven. Remove from oven, and brush top with egg white.
- Starting at outer edge and working toward the center, arrange plum slices in smaller and smaller circles until crust is covered. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar evenly over plums, and bake for 25 minutes. Top with almonds and remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar, and bake for 10 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and plums are softened. Remove tart from the oven, and cool for at least 5 minutes. Cut into 4-5 wedges and serve.