Monday, August 16, 2010

Tomato and Onion Sauteed Green Beans


Hi, I made a pie for you today. But I'm embarrassed, and I'm going to let you in on a little secret. The bottom crust? Kind of a disaster.

I know, I can't believe after all my hard work it didn't bake through! It looked so beautiful and yet it just didn't do what it was supposed to. But the fruity mush it created was still yummy, and the outer crust was more than edible. So I guess it's okay. :)


What I did successfully make today, however, was a challah! Yes, again- but I love it and I will NEVER let it go. It's my favorite bread in the world and I will continue making it all the rest of my days, rain or shine, Kitchen Aid mixer or wooden spoon, I'll be making it.

And, I made a new green bean dish today too! Check it out- it was inspired by various cookbook recipes I found but it makes a really tasty and rather fast vegetable side dish to serve with any summer dinner.


Tomato and Onion Sauteed Green Beans
(A Jessica original)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cleaned
  • 1 pint organic cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon EVOO (Yes, I say evoo :) )
  • 1 teaspoon garlic paste
  • 1/2 cup white wine, separated
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In a large pot, bring 2 -3 cups of salted water to a boil. Place the fresh green beans in a metal colander and place in the pot. Cover the colander with a lid, but make sure some of the steam can still escape. Steam for 15 minutes.
  2. About 5 minutes before the green beans are done, add EVOO, garlic paste, 1/4 cup of white wine, and the chopped onion in a large saute pan, on medium-high heat. Let the onions simmer for about 6 minutes or until they start to become translucent and slightly browned.
  3. When the beans have finished steaming, drain, and add to the onions, along with the remaining 1/4 cup white wine.
  4. Let the beans continue to cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir every few minutes to ensure they don't burn.
  5. Finally, add the cherry tomatoes and cook uncovered for about 10 more minutes, or until the tomatoes become softened and fragrant.
Serve warm with a nice big hunk of rustic baguette and some creamy brie cheese!

Happy Baking!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment